What are Strain Gauges?
Quick Check FEA- Steel Fabrications
- They are sensors that measure surface stresses and strains
- In tension and compression (stretching and squeezing)
- They range in size from say 2mm to 200mm
- As they stretch their resistance changes
- We measure the tiny changes in resistance
- They are one type of sensor we use in Monitoring / Testing
Are Strain Gauges Expensive?
- No, the gauges themselves are cheap
- There are some consumables like wire and glue
So why use GreenStorm?
- The trick is...
- Choosing the right gauges and glue for the materials and expected conditions
- Putting them in the right places to get meaningful results
- Getting accurate data out
- Knowing what to do with the data
- The sensing and data aquisition instruments are expensive
- And the data crunching software ain't cheap (spreadsheets dont cut it!)