- Measure real mechanical conditions during live service operations.
- Even on moving / rotating machinery.
- Monitoring for LONG PERIODS can capture UNEXPECTED events that do not occur every day
- These events can often be the real cause of failure
- Lines up the cause with the effect.
- What actual stress results from that shock load?
- Where was that rough road that caused those vibrations?
- We can simultaneously monitor stress, strain, torque, load, pressure, displacement, vibration, location, velocity, acceleration and temperature.
Strain Gauging dovetails with FEA...
- FEA can gives the stress picture over the whole structure.
- But the LOADS are ESTIMATED.
- Strain Gauging gives stresses at certain points on the structure
- So, the REAL LOADS are MEASURED
- FEA + Straing Gauging = TOTAL PICTURE